My daughter had her 17th birtday on April 2nd. I bought her a birthday cake and gave her birthday money before leaving for work and she spent the evening with friends. Late at night she texted me to tell me she got ANOTHER birthday cake! So...now there are two!When I came home from work, I was looking forward to having a piece of her cake (I had not yet had a piece...simply because it hadn't been cut yet before I went to work the night before). When I got home...there was the other cake. It looked delicious...two layers of yellow cake with chocolate icing and thick buttercream frosting between the layers! Yummy! I cut a big, big, big piece and took it to my room and ate it. I hadn't been on plan all day...so, what difference would a big slice of cake make? Right? (blah!).
When I woke up, there was the cake(s). Fortunately, the one I bought her was still uncut and she wasn't home so I didn't think I should cut it without her. But, there was that other cake...the one I had already tasted. And guess what happened? The wierdest thing.....
I decided right then and there that I didn't WANT any of the cake. Not that I SHOULDN'T have the cake...but that I simply didn't want any. I realized that I didn't want to see another gain on the scales this coming weigh in and that having more cake would not take me any further to my goal. When I started thinking in those terms....thinking about WHY I don't want the cake rather than battling some old/ancient/immature voice in my head telling me "You can't have that!" then SUDDENLY it wasn't even a battle. I was presented with a choice and I made a choice. I chose not to have the cake based on REMEMBERING what my goal is and REMINDING myself that I would only feel regret and that the cake would not be eaten without consequences....and JUST LIKE THAT....I continued on with what I was doing.
I REALLY DIDN'T WANT IT so making that decision was a "piece of cake!"






No comments:
Post a Comment